Sunshine Coast. Overall, it’s a fine weekend get-away to Canada’s water polo paradise. Don’t expect a tournament. If you want to get aggressive and fight with other players, please do not come. Water polo games will happen on both Saturday and Sunday at Ruby Lake, where the water quality has a reputation to be clean, clear, turquoise and warm. The local club, Sockeye Water Polo does most of the hosting and organizing. Beyond water polo, the weekend is a great escape from the city for all kinds of outdoor sunshine, fun and great company. It's a family friendly event where children and youth seem to have a pretty decent time. For Saturday, our boat service is back... but keep in mind that swimming or paddling to the islets is also a fine option.
WATER POLO ACTION
Water polo will take place at Ruby Lake which is on the left side of Highway 101 after an 80 minute drive from Langdale. Ruby Lake is a 50 minute drive past Sechelt. Ruby Lake Resort is on the right side of the Highway, very close to the
lake. Check the ferry schedule, and get a reservation; the latest Saturday ferry to catch is at 10:40am to make the 2pm water polo action on the islets. SUNSHINE COAST Aside from water polo, there's lots of other cool things to check out: Skookumchuck Rapids, hiking, mountain biking, lakes, beaches, and breweries. Ruby Lake is a great place to explore with a stand-up paddleboard. Arrive Friday and start
having fun. Fair Warning: Darren will aggressively try to
sell you a gorgeous and ultra-fast HYPR Hawaii paddleboard. He is relentless, and only somewhat annoying on this topic.
CHALLENGES THIS YEAR
Like past years, we must sell out all of the ‘safari tents’ or ‘rustic cabins’ on the upper property before the resort will allow people to bring their own tents. We’d strongly appreciate if people could book these things with the resort. We ran out of water in past years, probably from too many showers. So, short showers only for people who booked accommodations with the resort. To help us navigate the new challenges this year, we are really hoping
people can step up and help with set-up, cleaning, and wrangling.
- Resort Accommodations: Book a ‘Safari tent’ or ‘rustic cabins’ at the upper area of Ruby Lake Resor www.rubylakeresort.com. Two nights is minimum stay. You can’t initially book these online. Contact the resort first, and tell them you are with water polo and they can unblock whatever accommodations you request. Contact the resort directly: 604-883-1112 or email@example.com
- Tenting: Once we get clearance for tenting.... Bring your own tent to set up at the ‘water polo tent site’ at Ruby Lake Resort. Portapotties are available for campers. Sockeye Water Polo club will pay for all the tent sites and cooking area, and then campers can the reimburse Sockeye Water Polo as per suggested contributions below. There’s no need to contact the resort for BYO tent option. Enquire to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Local B&B’s: Lots around, but reserve early.
FOOD & DRINK (Details TBD)
- There will be catered Saturday night feast at the ‘outdoor kitchen’ at Ruby Lake Resort. Happy hour will features Ruby Lake Sangria and pony kegs of local brews. BYOB for all else. Dinner will be $30 per person, and payment is done through this website.
- Sunday breakfast: Hosts will also provide coffee, juice, muffins. Breakfast will be $15 per person, and payment is done through this website.
- Lunches, you are on your own. Local food outlets have deli sandwiches, pizza, burgers, etc. If you arrive a day early, the Italian restaurant right at the Ruby Lake Resort is quite good.
- Player Registration is $25 for the whole event Payment is done through this website.
- This year we are asking for a nominal fee of $15 for all ADULT NON PLAYER participants for the event. Payment is done through this website.
We thank you for your support of water polo, and the water polo community on the sunshine coast. Your help encourages Sockeye Water Polo club to keep offering and improving the Sunshine Coast Summer Classic in coming years!
Now that you've registered your group, you can select the appropriate fees to confirm your booking with us!
Sunshine Coast 2023 Player Registration Fee
This is the player registration cost require for each player participant who will be registering for the 2023 event.
Summer 2023 Non-Player Registration Fee
As you may or may not know this event is intended to be a fundraiser to support water polo development on the sunshine Coast. We greatly appreciate your contribution to this amazing event and would appreciate that all adult non-players contribute $10 to support the event.
Sunshine Coast 2023 Saturday Dinner
This will be a catered event happening on Saturday evening. Details of the dinner offerings will be provided as soon as they are available.
Sunshine Coast 2023 Sunday Breakfast
Breakfast is available on the Sunday morning before the second day of water polo. Offerings typically include coffee, juice, tea muffins and other baked goods as well as scrambled eggs.
The Sunshine Coast Summer Classic is back and better than ever!